Registration & Coffee13:30
Jacques BOULARD | Chief Justice of the Paris Court of appeal (bio)
#1 THE TEMPORAL APPLICATION OF THE RULES RESULTING FROM THE "DAMAGES" DIRECTIVE: A DIFFICULTY FINALLY SOLVED BY THE VOLVO/DAF RULING?14:00
Jérémy BERNARD | Partner, Delcade, Paris (bio)
Marie-Laure DALLERY | President, Chamber 5-4, Paris Court of Appeal (bio)
Aleksandar DORICH | Legal Secretary, Court of Justice of the European Union, Luxembourg (bio)
Laurent FLOCHEL | Vice-President, Charles River Associates, Paris (bio)
Moderator: Rafael AMARO | Professor, University of Caen Normandie (bio)
#2 DAMAGE ASSESSMENT: EVIDENTIAL DIFFICULTIES15:45
Franck AUDRAN | Partner, Gide Loyrette Nouel (bio)
Alexandre LACRESSE | Legal Secretary, General Court of the European Union, Luxembourg (bio)
Gildas DE MUIZON | Partner, Head of Economic Advisory, Deloitte, Paris (bio)
Nicolas REGIS | Conseiller référendaire, Commercial, Financial and Economic Chamber, Cour de cassation, Paris (bio)
Moderator: Jacqueline RIFFAULT-SILK | Honorary Dean of the Commercial Chamber, Cour de cassation, Paris (bio)
#3 HOT TOPICS - PRACTITIONERS ROUNDTABLE17:15
Rainer BECKER | Head of Unit - Private Enforcement, DG COMP, Brussels (bio)
Marion PROVOST | National Partner, Dechert, Paris (bio)
Laure SCHULZ | Partner, RBB Economics, Paris (bio)
Nils VON HINTEN REED | Managing Director, CEG, Brussels (bio)
Moderator: Brigitte BRUN-LALLEMAND | First Chamber President, Paris Court of Appeal (bio)
If you would like to read about this event’s topic, you can access the following Concurrences documents. If you do not have access, please inquire for Subscription here.
Panel 1: Volvo - DAF Judgment: The Temporal Application of The Rules Resulting From The "Damages" Directive: a Difficulty Finally Solved?
1. Alain Ronzano, Evidence: The Court of Justice of the European Union recalls that the creation of ex novo evidence can only be done in compliance with the limitation of the production of evidence to what is relevant, proportionate and necessary, taking into account the legitimate interests and fundamental rights of that party (AD / DAF Trucks), 10 November 2022
2. Rafael P. Amaro, Private action: The French Supreme Court recalls that the harmful consequences of the application of a null and void clause constituting a cartel may logically give rise to a right to compensation but that this harm cannot be presumed (Lorillard), 28 September 2022
3. European Court of Justice, The EU Court of Justice specifies the temporal scope on rules governing carry on damages for competition law infringements as well as the quantification of damages and the rebuttable presumption relating to the existence of a cartel following a decision by the Commission (Volvo / DAF Trucks), 22 June 2022
4. Muriel Chagny, Application over time: The Paris Court of Appeal affirms that, in the Follow-on case of the personal care products cartel, the presumption putting the burden of proof on the defendant to the action to prove the repercussion of the damage, is not applicable ratione temporis (Vania / Carrefour), 5 January 2022
Panel 2: Damage Assessment: Evidential Difficulties
1. European Court of Justice, The EU Court of Justice preliminarily determines the Commission may lawfully request the creation of new documents by classifying or compiling knowledge already in its possession provided the request is consistent with the principle of proportionality (PACCAR / DAF Trucks / AD and others), 10 November 2022
3. Alain Ronzano, Private action: The Lyon Commercial Court ruled that it had not been proven that there was a correlation between wholesale and retail prices on the truck market, in particular because of the role of distributors in negotiating the final price, and consequently dismissed the plaintiffs’ claim for compensation for the extra cost of purchasing trucks (Colas / DAF Trucks), 27 October 2022
4. Alain Ronzano, Follow-on: The Commercial Court of Lyon considers that there is no causal link between the wrongful coordination of the manufacturers and the alleged extra cost damage in the truck cartel case (Colas / DAF Trucks), 27 October 2022
5. Alain Ronzano, Private action: The Advocate General Pitruzzella considers that national courts are obliged to attribute to the finding of an infringement contained in a final decision of the national competition authority the value of "prima facie evidence" in the event of complete coincidence between the infringement found and the alleged infringement which forms the basis of the civil action for compensation for competitive damage where the Damages Directive is not applicable (Repsol Comercial de Productos Petrolíferos), 8 September 2022
Panel 3: Damage Assessment: Evidential Difficulties
1. Rafael P. Amaro, Private action: The French Supreme Court recalls that the harmful consequences of the application of a null and void clause constituting a cartel may logically give rise to a right to compensation but that this harm cannot be presumed (Lorillard), 28 September 2022
Enforcers: Audencia Nacional, AGCM, Belgian Competition Authority, CJEU, Cour de Cassation, DG COMP, Directe IDF, European Commission, Junta de Andalucia, OCDE, Office of Competition and Consumer Protection of Poland, Tribunal de commerce de Paris, UK Competition and Markets Authority, Superintendencia de control del poder de Mercado ((Ecuador), etc.
Corporations: AEMA Group, Auchan, Cora, Crédit agricole CIB, Decathlon, Egis, Expleo Group, Fnac Darty, Groupe Casino, Groupe Randstad, Haier, La Banque postale, Lagardere, Michelin, Natixis, Orange, Pepsico, Saur, SFR, SNCF, Sodexo, U Enseigne, Vilmorin & Cie - Limagrain, etc.
Lawyers: 3Dtic, AGN Avocats, Allen & Overy, Arnold & Porter, Assonime, Ayache, B2G Avocats, Baker Mckenzie, Ballas, Pelecanos & Associates, BCLP, BDGS Associes, Bird & Bird, Borrel Avocats, Bredin Prat, Bureau Brandeis, Cabinet Bensimhon, Cabinet Renaudier, Carlara, Celaya, Cleary Gottlieb, Clifford Chance, CMS Francis Lefebvre Avocats, Collette Avocat, Crowell, CVA, DDG, De Gaulle Fleurance & Associes, De Pardieu Brocas Maffei, Dechert, Delcade Avocats & Solicitors, Deloitte Legal, Denoyes Avocat, Dentons, DGFLA, Fidal, Freget Glaser & Associes, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Garrigues, Gide Loyrette Nouel, Grall & Associes, Hausfeld & Co, Henry & Bricogne Aarpi, Herbert Smith Freehills, Hogan Lovells, HW&H, Idlo, Jones Day, Jouvensal, Jp Karsenty & Associes, K&L Gates, Kaps, Laborde Advisory, Lawellmcmiller, Ldeis Avocats, Lex Port, Lexcase, Linklaters, LWA, Martin Ellie, Mayer Brown, Mcdermott Will & Emery, Nest, Nfalaw, Niddam-Drouas Avocats, Norton Rose Fulbright, Nunziante Magrone, Orrick, Ovhcloud, Paradigmes, PJM & Associes, PLMJ, Pokorny, Wagner & Partners, Reed Smith, Reinhart Marville Torre, Roschier, Attorneys, Saint-Gobain, Schoenherr, Selinsky Cholet, Servulo, Shearn Delamore & Co., Signature Litigation, Simmons & Simmons, SJA Avocats, Sousa Ferro & Associados, TAJ Deloitte Legal, UGGC Avocats, Vallette Viallard Avocats, Van Bael & Bellis, VBB, Viguie Schmidt & Associes, Vilmorin & Cie - Limagrain, Weil, Wenger & Vieli, White & Case, Wilhelm & Associes, etc.
Economists: Accuracy, Analysis Group, BM&A, Compass Lexecon, CRA, Deloitte Finance, Extent Economics, FTI Consulting, Iliad, KPMG, Laborde Advisory, Oxera, Sorgem Evaluation, TERA Consultants, Veltys Oïko, etc.
8th annual conference organized by Concurrences, free and open to all, eligible for Continuous Professional Development as part of the continuing education of lawyers of the Paris Bar. By registering for this conference, you are submitting your information to the organizers who will use it to communicate with you regarding this event and their other services. The list of participants will be communicated to the speakers. Photos will be taken and the conference will be recorded. Participants agree to the use of these photos by the organizer, unless otherwise specified in writing. This conference is organized by Concurrences Review, in partnership with law firms, economists and the media. The official hashtag of this event on our social media is #PrivateEnforcement. Use it to get updated and add your inputs to the discussions. See above this page for the links to our social media accounts.
10 Boulevard du Palais75001 Paris France