Daniel FASQUELLE | Professor | Honorary Dean, University of the Littoral-Côte-d’Opale | Senior Counsel, Squadra Avocats, Paris (bio)
#1 EGALIM 3: WHAT PRACTICAL IMPLICATIONS DOES IT HAVE FOR TRADE NEGOTIATIONS ?10.00
Distribution law is currently undergoing a number of legislative developments. The main developments include the law Egalim 3 also called “Descrozaille”, which aims to strengthen the balance of commercial relations between the agri-food industry and mass retailing, or even the DGCCRF guidelines on the supervision of promotions.
Esther BITTON | Director of M&A, Casino Group / Executive Director, ExtenC, Paris (bio)
Alexandre CARBONNEL | Director, AlixPartners, Paris (bio)
Laurent JACQUIER | Adjoint au chef du bureau 3C, DGCCRF, Paris
Pascal WILHELM | Partner, Wilhelm & Associés, Paris (bio)
Moderator: Anne-Sophie CHONÉ-GRIMALDI | Professor, Paris Nanterre University (bio)
#2 RESTRICTIVE PRACTICES: UPDATE ON CASE LAW DEVELOPMENTS11.45
The panel will discuss recent case law developments on restrictive competition practices, such as the Paris Court of Appeal rulings (e.g., Pizza Center France; Domino’s Pizza France, 8 February 2023, etc.), the Court of Cassation (e.g., Acopal / Paniers Terdis, etc.) and the CJEU on distribution contracts (e.g., Intermarché Casino Achats vs. Commission, 9 March 2023, etc.) as well as the DGCCRF’s powers to issue injunctions under penalty and their first application.
Jacques CREYSSEL | Délégué Général, Fédération du Commerce et de la Distribution, Paris*
Malik IDRI | Partner, Orrick, Paris*
Alexandre LACRESSE | Legal Secretary, CJEU, Luxembourg*
Irène LUC | Vice-President, French Competition Authority, Paris (bio)
Modératrice: Muriel CHAGNY | Head of the laboratory DANTE, Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines University (bio)
#3 E-COMMERCE AND PLATFORMS: BANNING MANUFACTURERS FROM SELLING ON MARKETPLACES - WHERE DO WE STAND? VBER’S FIRST APPLICATIONS CASES14.00
Changing practices, with the development of platforms, e-commerce, two-sided markets, the digital economy and the definition of relevant markets require the need for competition rules to be adapted. What impact do current legislative developments, such as the revision of the definition of relevant markets and VBER, have on distribution?
Ariane CHARPIN | Director - Economic Advisory, Deloitte, Paris (bio)
Chloé MARIOU | Juriste Conso & Distribution, Rakuten, Paris
Agnès PARENT | Legal Director, Fédération Française de la Franchise, Paris (bio)
Sylvie TREARD | Conseillère, chambre économique et financière, Paris Court of Appeal, Paris*
Moderator: Dimitri DIMITROV | Partner, Gide Loyrette Nouel, Paris (bio)
#4 IN-HOUSE ROUNDTABLE: TRADE NEGOCIATIONS AND MERGERS15.45
Facing the growing complexity of legal and regulatory requirements, how can we meet the national and European challenges of anti-competitive practices and restrictive competition law?
Frédéric de BURE | Partner, Cleary Gottlieb, Paris (bio)
Delphine GAILLARD | Head of the Legal Department, Coopérative Biocoop, Paris*
Cyril HARITON | Partner, Positive Competition, Brussels (bio)
Silvia MODET | Senior Antitrust Counsel, Danone, Paris*
Valérie QUESNEL | Director of Legal Affairs and Compliance, Ferrero, Paris*
Moderator: Rafael AMARO | Professor, Caen-Normandy University (bio)
If you would like to read about this event’s topic, you can access the following Concurrences documents. If you do not have access, please inquire for Subscription here.
Panel 1 - Egalim 3 : What Practical Implications Does It Have for Trade Negotiations ?
1. French Competition Authority, The French Competition Authority carries out unannounced inspections in the passenger rail transport, distribution of travel agency services and products, and digital mobility systems sectors following alleged anticompetitive practices, 12 May 2023
3. Frédéric Buy, EGalim 3: The French Parliament adopts the law, called "EGalim 3", and defines, among other things, the conditions for the international application of Title IV of Book IV C. com., 30 March 2023
4. Stéphane Brena, Commercial agency : The French Supreme Court, operating a reversal of case law, decides that the serious fault of the agent prior to the termination not referred to in the letter of termination because of its late discover, cannot be invoked by the principal (Acopal / Paniers Terdis), 16 November 2022
Panel 2 - Restrictive Practices: Update on Case Law Developments
1. European Court of Justice, The EU Court of Justice sets aside in part the judgments of the General Court and, consequently, annuls the decisions of the Commission ordering inspections at the premises of a number of French undertakings in the distribution sector on account of suspicions of anticompetitive practices (Les Mousquetaires / ITM Entreprises / Casino / Guichard-Perrachon / Achats Marchandises Casino / Intermarché Casino Achats), 9 March 2023
2. Nicolas Éréséo, Franchising: The Paris Court of Appeal orders the termination of a franchise agreement as a result of the franchisee’s submission to obligations creating a significant imbalance (Pizza Center France ; Domino’s Pizza France et alii), 8 February 2023
3. Nicolas Ferrier, Severance payment: The French Supreme Court reverses its position by refusing that the agent’s serious misconduct committed before the termination of a contract but discovered afterwards takes away his right to severance pay (Acopal / Paniers Terdis) , 16 November 2022
Panel 3 - E-commerce and platforms: Banning Manufacturers From Selling on Marketplaces - Where Do We Stand? VBER’s First Applications Cases
Panel 4 - In-House Roundtable: Trade Negotiations and Mergers…
2. Maurits Dolmans, Wanjie Lin, The EU Commission adopts new Guidelines for agreement between competitors which contains specific guidance on the antitrust assessment of sustainability agreements, 1 June 2023
4. Margot Vogels, Andreas Reindl, The EU Court of Justice confirms that the EU Commission can exclude a Member State from the territorial scope of a formal antitrust investigation without violating the principle of protection against parallel antitrust proceedings (Amazon), 20 April 2023
Enforcers: AGCM, Autorité Belge de la Concurrence, Autorité de la Concurrence, Bangladesh Competition Commission, Commission Nacional de los Mercados y la Competencia, Competition Commission Mauritius, Competition Council of the Republic of Lithuania, Cour de Cassation, CJUE, DG COMP, DGCCRF, Commission Européenne, Ministère de l’économie, Tribunal de Commerce de Paris, UK Competition & Markets Authority, World Bank, etc ...
Corporations: Affiches Parisiennes, AIM European Brands Association, Altius, Amazon, AMC, ANIA, ARCUM, Arkema, Auchan, Avril, Bayer, Beiersdorf, Bloomberg News, Bouygues Telecom, British Telecom, Carrefour, Casino, Castel, CFPR, Chanel, Coca-Cola European Partners, Concurrences, Conseil National des Professions de l’Automobile, Cooperative U Enseigne, Coty, Danone, EK France, Engie, Erkim Pharmaceuticals, Essilor, Essity, Faurecia, FBD International, Fédération du Commerce Coopératif et associé, Fédération du Commerce et de la Distribution, Fleury Michon, Flinn, FMC Automobiles, FNSEA, Française des Jeux, Galeries Lafayette, Glaxosmithkline, Groupe ADP, Heineken, Henkel, Hermes, Intesa Sanpaolo, ITM Entreprises, L’Oréal, La Banque Postale, La Coopération Agricole, Lesaffre, LG Electronics, M6, MACIF, Martin Belaysoud, Mondelez International, Mutti, Nestlé, Orange, Pepsico, Pernod Ricard, Picart, Rolls Royce, Saint Hubert, Saint-Gobain, Samsung, Sanofi, SNCF, Thales, Thyssenkrupp steel, Total, Ursa Insulation, etc ...
Lawyers: A&L Goodbody, AARPI, Alerion, Alinea, Allen & Overy, Altana, Ambos Law, Arnold & Porter, Ashurst, Ayache Salama, Baker McKenzie, Ballas Pelecanos & Associates, BBLM Avocats, BCTG Avocats, BDGS Associés, BDK Advokati, Bensimhon, Bignon Lebray, BMGB et Associés, Bonelli Erede, Borrel, Bowmans, Bredin Prat, Brodies, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, Cahn Wilson, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, Clifford Chance, CMS, Collette, Courtois Lebel, Crowell & Moring, D&B David si Baias, Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier, DDCT Avocats, De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés, De Pardieu Brocas Maffei, Debevoise & Plimpton, Dechert, Delade Avocats & Solicitors, Deloitte, Dentons, Deprez Guignot Associés, Dickson Minto, DJ Ireland & Associates, DLA Piper, ECR Legal, EFB, Ernst & Young, Eujus, Eversheds Sutherland, Fidal, Fieldfisher, Franklin, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Geradin Partners, Gide Loyrette Nouel, Gouache, Harbour, Henry & Bricogne, Henry Xavier, Herbert Smith Freehills, Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek, Hogan Lovells, HWH Avocats, Jean-Claude Coulon & Associés, Jeantet, Jones Day, Jouvensal, JP Karsenty & Associés, K&L Gates, KLYB Avocats, KPMG, Kramer Levin, L.A. Solution Avocats, LDEIS, Linklaters, Mamo TCV Advocates, Marchini Botelho Caselta, Mauricio Velandia, Medjnah, MPH, Nicolas Genty, Niddam-Drouas, Norton Rose Fulbright, Panetta, Pinheiro Neto, Proreus, Quevedo, Racine, Redcliffe, Reed Smith, Renaudier, Roschier, Selinsky Cholet, Sheppard Mullin, Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton, Simmons & Simmons, Spy Avocat, Squire Patton Boggs, SRS Advogados, Stibbe, TGS France Avocats, Trilegal, UGGC, Uria Menendez, Vallette Viallard, Van Bael & Bellis, Vertut, Viginti, Viguie Schmidt, Vogel & Vogel, White & Case, Wilhelm & Associés, Willkie Farr & Gallagher, etc ...
Economists: Actecon, College of Europe, Compass Lexecon, E.CA Economics, FTI Consulting, IPA Arcturus, RBB Economics, etc ...
Academics: AFEC, AFS, Université Aix Marseille University, HEC, INRAE, Max Planck Institute, Northwestern University, Sciences Po, Seoul National University, University of Amsterdam, Université de Bayonne, Université de Caen, University of Carabobo, University of Groningen, Université de La Rochelle, Université de Liège, Université de Lille, University of Medellin, Université de Montpellier, Université de Nantes, Université de Perpignan, University of Potsdam, Université de Rennes, Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, University of Warsaw, Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas, Université Paris Nanterre, Université Paris-Dauphine, Université Paris-Est Creteil, Université Paris-Saclay, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole, etc ...
11 Rue Catherine de la Rochefoucauld75009 Paris France