Welcome & Lunch12:00
#1 ABUSE: ENFORCEMENT PRIORITIES & GUIDELINES13:15
Aleksandra BOUTIN | Founding Partner, Positive Competition, Brussels (bio)
Damien GERARD | Prosecutor General, Belgium Competition Authority, Brussels (bio)
Chris IDERMARK-BOYD | Senior Counsel, Competition, Aramco, Dhahran (bio)
Miguel PEREZ GUERRA | Director Antitrust, IP & Commercial, AB InBev, London (bio)
Moderator: Paul LUGARD | Partner, Baker Botts, Brussels (bio)
#2 DIGITAL: REGULATION OF PLATFORMS15:00
Mette ALFTER | Director, Head of Brussels office, Frontier Economics, Brussels (bio)
Will HAYTER | Senior Director, Digital Markets Unit, UK Competition and Markets Authority, London (bio)
Tero LOUKO | Senior Competition Counsel, Google, Stockholm (bio)
Elodie VANDENHENDE | Deputy Head of the Digital Economy Unit, French Competition Authority, Paris (bio)
Moderator: Matthew LEVITT | Partner, Baker Botts, Brussels/London (bio)
#3 MERGERS: EU, UK & US PERSPECTIVES16:15
Joan DE SOLÀ-MORALES | Partner, RBB Economics, Brussels (bio)
Birthe PANHANS | Head of Unit, Mergers, DG COMP, Brussels (bio)
John TALADAY | Partner, Baker Botts, Washington D.C. (bio)
Ricardo ZIMBRON | Director, UK Competition and Markets Authority, London (bio)
Moderator: David CARDWELL | Partner, Baker Botts, Brussels/London (bio)
Previous edition attendees
Agencies: Autorité de la concurrence, Bangladesh Competition Commission, Bmdw, CAK, CCPC, CNMC, Comesa Competition Commission, Competition Protection Agency, Council of State, Department of Communications and Digital Technologies, DGCCRF European Banking Authority, Fiscalia Nacional Economica, FNE, FTC, Lithuanian Competition Council, Luxembourg Conseil de la concurrence, Malaysia Competition Commission, Monopolkommission, OFGEM, Permanent Representation of Hungary to the EU, Philippine Competition Commission, Socoma, The Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court of Thailand, UK Competition and Markets Authority, UK Competition Appeal Tribunal, US DOJ, World Trade Organization...
Corporations: 3M Company, A.P Moller-Maersk, ABB, Abbott Laboratories, ABF, AB-Inbev, ADNOC, ADP, Air Liquide, Airbus, Allianz, Alstom, Amazon, American Express Services, Amgen, AP, Apple, Ascend Technology, Atlantic Methanol Companies, AWS, Bertelsmann, BMO Financial Group, Booking.com, British Telecommunications, Broadcom, CACIB, Centrica, Cisco, Colgate Palmolive, Conocophillips Company, CPCHEM, Credit Agricole CIB, Croatian Telecom, CTFN, Dassault Systemes, Dell Technologies, Deutsche Post / Dhl, Deutsche Telekom, Disney, Engie, Epex Spot, Ericsson, European Payments Council, Exxonmobil, Facebook, Farfetch, Google, Groupe Dubreuil, Gs1, Gsma, Heineken, Hitachi, Energy, Hitachi Power Grids, Iag, Imerys, Infobip, Inter Cars, Intesa Sanpaolo, Jet Capital, Just Eat Takeaway, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, Koch Companies Public Sector, L’Oreal, Liberty Global, Lyondellbasell, Maersk, Mars, Massmart Holdings, Mastercard, Merck, Mondelez, Mosaid Technologies, News Corp, Novartis, Olin Corporation, Orlen, Ørsted, Outokumpu Oyj, Rolls-Royce, Rundfunk und Telekom Regulierungs, Samsung Electronics, Sasol, Sd Worx Group, Servier, Shell Oil, Siemens, Stone Point Capital, Technipfmc, Telefonica, Telekom Srbija, Tetra Pak, Texas Instruments, Thales, United First Partners, Vaunet, VKR Holding, Zalando...
Economic Consultancies: Apoyo Consultoria, Arcep, Assegaf Hamzah & Partners, BT, Brattle Group, Cap Economics, Cirque Analytics, Compass Lexecon, Copenhagen Economics, Cornerstone Research, Deloitte, Dentons, Frontier Economics, FTI Consulting, Kim & Chang, Mazars, Nera Economic Consulting, Omnicles Competition Law Economic Services, Publico, RBB Economics, Sai Derecho y Economia, Sutic, Tim, Van Bael & Bellis, Wipo, World Bank...
If you would like to read about this event’s topic, you can access the following Concurrences documents. If you do not have access, please inquire for Subscription here.
Panel 1 - Abuse: Enforcement Priorities & Guidelines
1. French Competition Authority, The French Competition Authority issues interim measures against a social media giant over an alleged abuse of dominance in the online ad verification sector (Meta), 4 May 2023
3. Katarzyna Czapracka, Jérémie Jourdan, Assimakis Komninos, Tilman Kuhn, Nina Frie, The EU Court of Justice confirms that the national authorities can review ex post below-threshold mergers under abuse of dominance rules (Towercast), 16 March 2023
4. Anita Malec, The German Competition Authority closes an abuse of dominance investigation in the market for armoured transport vehicle maintenance following supply commitments by an armoured vehicle diagnostics service provider (Rheinmetall Landsysteme / FFG Flensburg Fahrzeugbau), 13 March 2023
5. Claire Mongouachon, Respect for freedom of expression: The Paris Court of Appeal overturns the decision of the Competition Authority in its entirety, rejecting the complaints of abuse of collective dominance in the AMD treatment sector (Novartis ; Roche ; Genentech), 16 February 2023
6. European Court of Justice, The EU Court of Justice finds a major FMCG company liable for abuse of dominance due to exclusivity clauses imposed by its independent distributors on operators of sale outlets (Unilever Italia), 19 January 2023
7. Marie Cartapanis, Essential infrastructure: The Court of Justice of the European Union rejects the Bronner test when the abusive conduct manifests itself in the dismantling of a railway infrastructure (Lietuvos geležinkeliai), 12 January 2023
Panel 2 - Digital: Regulation of Platforms
1. German Competition Authority, The German Competition Authority publishes the final report on its sector inquiry into non-search online advertising which confirms the significant market position of a Big Tech company (Alphabet / Google), 30 May 2023
2. European Court of Justice, The EU General Court dismisses an action brought by a BigTech firm against a Commission decision seeking the disclosure of documents identified by means of search terms on the grounds that the decision is consistent with the principle of proportionality (Meta), 24 May 2023
3. French Competition Authority, The French Competition Authority issues interim measures against a social media giant over an alleged abuse of dominance in the online ad verification sector (Meta), 4 May 2023
5. German Competition Authority, The German Competition Authority holds that a Big Tech is an undertaking of paramount significance for competition across markets and consequently, is subject to the provisions for large digital companies under the Competition Act (Apple), 5 April 2023
6. US Federal Trade Commission, The US FTC opens a request for information regarding the business practices of cloud computing providers that could impact competition and data security in the healthcare, finance, transportation, e-commerce and defence industries, 22 March 2023
7. UK Competition Authority, The UK Competition Authority provisionally holds that the .7B acquisition of a gaming firm will lead to higher prices and fewer choices for UK gamers (Microsoft / Activision), 8 February 2023
Panel 3 - Mergers: EU, UK & US Perspectives
2.European Commission, The EU Commission sends an online hotel booking platform a Statement of Objections over its proposed acquisition of an online flight booking platform (Booking / eTraveli), 9 June 2023
3.Ronan Scanlan, The UK Competition Appeal Tribunal announces the receipt of an application to review the Competition Authority’s decision to prohibit the acquisition of a leading video game publisher (Microsoft / Activision Blizzard), 26 May 2023
5.US Federal Trade Commission, The US FTC welcomes news that two medical device manufacturers have abandoned their proposed merger following investigations by multiple National Competition Authorities (Boston Scientific / M.I. Tech Co.), 24 May 2023
8. Eileen M. Cole, Anna Aryankalayil, Craig Falls, The US DoJ withdraws policy statements in the healthcare industry to signal an increased scrutiny on mergers, joint ventures, group purchasing and information sharing, 3 February 2023
This 11th edition of the Global Antitrust Hot Topics half-day conference is organised by Concurrences Review in partnership with Baker Botts, Meta, Positive Competition and RBB Economics. Free registration, no on-site registration. Limited seating. In case of over-subscription, registration will be limited to 1 person by the institution. The attendees’ list will be communicated to the speakers. By registering you consent to us sharing your personal contact information with our event Partner Baker Botts L.L.P. You can check the news of this event on Concurrences Twitter, Linkedin Company page, Linkedin Group or Instagram.
Conference accredited with CPD credits and credited for the Paris Bar continuing training.
1 Place Jourdan - Jourdanplein1040 Brussels Belgium