REGISTRATION & BREAKFAST8:00
WELCOME & INTRODUCTORY REMARKS8.30
Mélanie THILL-TAYARA | Partner, Dechert, Paris (bio)
OPENING DISCUSSION : LEGAL CERTAINTY IS OVER: CONTINENTAL CAN IS BACK AND THE NEW ART. 22 IS HERE8.35
#1 THE NEW MERGER RISKS: FDI, FSR, HSR & NSIA09.15
Ief DAEMS | Associate General Counsel and Legal Director Competition Law EMEA, Cisco, Brussels (bio)
Thomas ERNOULT | Head of the «Foreign direct investments screening» unit, DG Trésor, MULTICOM 4, Paris (bio)
Clara ROBERT-HEIDMANN | Worldwide Head of Competition & Distribution Director, Dassault Systèmes, Paris (bio)
Julie SOLOWAY | Co-Chair of the Competition, Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group, Blake, Cassels & Graydon, Toronto (bio)
#2 REMEDIES: TOWARDS A SIMPLIFICATION IN THE EU, UK AND US?10.30
Dorian BEAUCHENE | Senior Consultant, Oxera, Paris (bio)
Youenn BEAUDOUIN | Case Handler, DG COMP, Brussels (bio)
Étienne CHANTREL | Head of the Merger Department, Autorité de la concurrence, Paris (bio)
Marianela LOPEZ-GALDOS | Global Competition Policy Director, Meta Platforms, Washington D.C. (bio)
Carel MASKE | Senior Attorney, Microsoft, Brussels (bio)
Roman REUTER | Senior Counsel for International Competition Affairs, Deutsche Telekom, Bonn (bio)
#3 IN-HOUSE PANEL: EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT MERGERS (EVEN IF IT’S NOT YOUR DAY JOB)11.30
Besma BOUMAZA | Group General Counsel & Secretary of the Board of Directors- Member of the Group Management Board, Accor, Paris (bio)
Angélique DE BROUSSE | Head of Competition Law and Policy Group EMEA, Johnson & Johnson, Brussels (bio)
Karima EL SAMMAA | Global Head of Competition Law, ArcelorMittal, Paris (bio)
Djemila MESBAH | Global Senior Antitrust Counsel, Novartis, Basel (bio)
Jeremy DE DOUHET | Global Head of Competition, TotalEnergies, Paris (bio)
Moderator: Mélanie THILL-TAYARA | Partner, Dechert, Paris (bio)
CLOSING DISCUSSION: A GLOBAL WAR STORY - WHAT CAN COUNSEL LEARN FROM THE MICROSOFT/ACTIVISION SAGA?12.30
*To be confirmed
10 % Discount on new Subscription with the code: GMC2023*
PREVIOUS EDITIONS ATTENDEES
Enforcers: Competition Authority, Danish competition and consumer authority, DG Comp, European Commission, European Payments Council, French Council of State, French General Secretariat of European Affairs, French Prudential Supervision and Resolution Authority, French Treasury, Hungarian Competition Authority, Malaysian Aviation Commission, Permanent Representation of Hungary to the EU, Philippine Competition Commission, Spanish Competition Authority, Turkish Council of Women, UNCTAD, etc..
Corporations: Amazon, Apple, BDI, Beiersdorf, Bertelsmann, BHP, Casino, Deutsche Telekom, EDF, Engie, Ericsson, Essilorluxottica, Groupe Le Duff, L’Oréal, La Banque Postale, MEDEF, Nets Denmark, Openreach, Orange, Philip Morris International, Soitec, Solvay, Squair, Telekom Srbija, Thales, Thomson Reuters, Unilever, Veolia, Vodafone etc.
Economists: Albers Consulting, Charles River Associates, Cornerstone Research, DT Economics, Economists Incorporated, EconOne, Finsbury Glover Hering, HBK, KPMG, NERA Economic Consulting, Rothschild Global Advisory, etc.
Academics: Centre de Droit Économique d’Aix-en-Provence, College of Europe, Copenhagen Economics, Kuleuven, Kuwait International Law School, Lille Catholic University, Lithuanian Social Sciences Centre, National Law University Of Assam, University of Edinburgh, University of Hohenheim, University of Nantes, University of Paris 1 Sorbonne, University of Paris 2 Pantheon-Assas, University of Paris Saclay (UVSQ), University of Paris-Est Créteil, University of Phillipines, University of Rennes, University of Verona, University of Versailles Saint Quentin En Yvelines, University of Yonsei, etc.
If you would like to read about this event’s topic, you can access the following Concurrences documents. If you do not have access, please inquire for Subscription here.
Opening Discussion : Legal Certainty is Over: Continental Can
is Back and the New Art. 22 is Here
1. European Commission, The EU Commission fines two biotech companies the maximum permitted fine of 10% of their global turnover, €432M, for breaching the standstill obligation (Illumina / GRAIL), 12 July 2023
2. Valérie Lefever, The Belgian Competition Authority imposes interim measures on the incumbent telecoms operator following its acquisition of a failing rival following the jurisprudence of the EU Court of Justice in its Towercast ruling (Proximus / EDPnet), 22 June 2023
3. Katarzyna Czapracka, Jérémie Jourdan, Assimakis Komninos, Tilman Kuhn, Nina Frie, The EU Court of Justice confirms that the national authorities can review ex post below-threshold mergers under abuse of dominance rules (Towercast), 16 March 2023
#1 The New Merger Risks: FDI, FSR, HSR & NSIA
1. Jürgen Beninca, Nicolas Brice, Serge Clerckx, Stefano Crosio, Laurent De Muyter, Raimundo Ortega, Rick van ’t Hullenaar, The EU Court of Justice clarifies the conditions under which member states can block FDI and rules that FDI screening mechanisms does not apply to EU-based purchasers (Xella Magyarország) , 13 July 2023
3. US Federal Trade Commission, The US FTC and DOJ propose amendments to the premerger notification form to request more information on subjects including transaction rationale, previous acquisitions, details surrounding investment and market conditions, 27 June 2023
#2 Remedies: Towards a Simplification in the EU, UK and US?
1. UK Competition Authority, The UK Competition Authority opens consultation on the remedies offered by a Big Tech company in its renewed bid to acquire a video game producer (Microsoft / Activision Blizzard), 22 September 2023
2. European Commission, The EU Commission clears the acquisition of a visualisation software provider by a hardware company subject to conditions regarding interoperability and source code access (VMware / Broadcom), 12 July 2023
4. UK Competition Authority, The UK Competition Authority publishes a notice of possible remedies based on its finding that a merger between two vehicle companies is likely to worsen vehicle salvage service options for car insurers (Copart / Hills Motors), 5 May 2023
#3 In-house Panel: All on Practicing Mergers as NOT an Every-Day Job
2. Lode Van Den Hende, Kyriakos Fountoukakos, Morris Schonberg, The EU Commission adopts the Implementation Regulation and Notification Forms for reporting transactions and public bids under the Foreign Subsidies Regulation, 10 July 2023
3. Stephen Wisking, Susan Black, Veronica Roberts, Kristien Geeurickx, Alexander Rickets, The UK Government introduces a Bill before Parliament which would hand new powers to the Competition Authority to regulate digital markets, 25 April 2023
4. Kyriakos Fountoukakos, Daniel Vowden, Peter Rowland, Kristien Geeurickx, The EU Commission publishes a package of measures aimed at simplifying its merger control procedures in order to reduce the workload and costs of mergers, 20 April 2023
Closing Discussion: A Global War Story - What Can Counsel Learn From the Microsoft/Activision Saga?
1. UK Competition Authority, The UK Competition Authority initiates a Phase 1 investigation into a restructured deal concerning the acquisition of a video game producer by a Big Tech company (Microsoft / Activision Blizzard), 22 August 2023
2. Ronan Scanlan, The UK Competition Appeal Tribunal announces the receipt of an application to review the Competition Authority’s decision to prohibit the acquisition of a leading video game publisher (Microsoft / Activision Blizzard), 26 May 2023
3. European Commission, The EU Commission conditionally approves the acquisition of a leading video game publisher by a Big Tech company (Microsoft / Activision Blizzard), 15 May 2023, e-Competitions May 2023
4. UK Competition Authority, The UK Competition Authority rejects the proposed commitments of a Big Tech company and blocks its proposed acquisition of a leading video game publisher (Microsoft / Activision Blizzard), 26 April 2023
This is the 11th edition of this joint conference organized by Concurrences and Dechert, in partnership with sponsors. The attendee list will be communicated to the speakers. By registering for this conference, you are submitting your information to the event organisers who will use it to communicate with you regarding this event and their other services. This event will be recorded. If your question is selected for the Q&A session, you are consenting to be recorded. The official hashtag of this event on our social media is #GlobalMergerControl. Use it to get updated and add your input to the discussions. You can check the news of this event on our Twitter, Linkedin Company page, Linkedin Group or Instagram.
Conference accredited with CPD credits and credited for the Paris Bar continuing training.
12 Rue de Poitiers75007 Paris France